I have a quick update this week and something that is fairly unusual, an actual WIP instead of something that is finished! My order arrived from Poland and what is was it, you ask? It is none other than a scarecrow set which you need for Farmer Maggot’s scenario! I got it from Hexy (though I think HQ Resin is who actually makes it) which is a terrain company I wasn’t overly familiar with until recently but I must say their webstore is quite impressive in the variety of things they offer. The quality of the resin sculpt was not bad and certainly better than Finecast. It did take a little extra filling of gaps but nothing more than 10-15 minutes. Best of all, I have a bunch of pumpkins and an extra scarecrow now. Perhaps I will make a little pumpkin patch as part of the terrain for this scenario!
What I’ve done is start working on the main field of crops for the Farmer Maggot scenario. I must say, I’m pretty happy with how it looks so far and while I obviously need to add a third row of crops and I want to add more variety to the edges of the terrain, it doesn’t need a ton more to look good. I just put an order into Scenery Express to get some lighter flock to highlight the grass a bit more and something to finish out the crops as well. I will probably also add some tufts scattered along the edges before I seal everything up. I’m pleased that the scarecrow is removable for storage purposes but still fits into the base fairly seamlessly. I wouldn’t say it is an amazing paint job but I wanted to bang this out quickly.
The only issue I have run into with this piece of terrain is that the plasticard I am using has warped a bit as I’ve been building it. Once I got all of the basing paste down, the edges curled up a decent amount and I had to put some heavy books on them for about 24 hours. That seemed to mostly fix it and while the terrain still could use a bit more flattening if I want it to be completely flat on the table, I think it is in pretty good shape now. This was my first run-in with warping and I certainly have more to learn in terms of preventing it but hopefully I’ve navigated it successfully. I am certainly going to try and find a different basing material to use for the Hobbit Holes I’m making as I don’t to run into more issues like this in the future. This project has been pretty easy and fun to work on so I look forward to finishing it up as soon as my Scenery Express stuff gets here.
With MDF bases and pre-made Woodland Scenics trees on the way, I have most of what I need to get my next scenario on the table. I even finally and a bit embarrassingly, just got the MESBG rulebook after all this time! I hadn’t needed it until recently and while I’m waiting to read it closer to when I’m ready to play, I was very impressed by the production quality of it as expected. I just need the Armies of Lord of the Rings and I should be all set! Now I just need to get my motivation for painting Theoden back as there is less than two months until Adepticon…