Actually the whole week in terms of hobbying has been challenging this time around which is part of the reason I’m posting an article a bit later than usual. Let’s take a closer look at what has been going on.
One of the big things I’ve been working on this week is this rug for the diorama. It doesn’t look too difficult to paint but the entire time I painted it, I felt like I kept thinking this rug still doesn’t look as good as I want it to and I don’t know why. I wanted it to look gaudy and flashy but also kind of dingy like something someone with poor taste would have in their home. That is not an easy look to achieve as it turns out! The rug also looked too flat until I enlisted the help of a painting friend who suggested stippling some blues on the rug to give it texture. That ended up being what it needed and I was finally satisfied with the rug after being annoyed with it for several days. I really can’t understate that rugs are harder to paint than you’d think!
The challenges with the rug didn’t end there though. The plastic is soft and way more pliable than I am used to and would like. So this meant straightening it by hitting it with some heat from a hairdryer a couple of times. I was still a bit nervous as I knew this was going to be glued onto a flat base and I need the thing to stay flat or this diorama is going nowhere fast. To be safe, I glued it liberally and put a heavy book on it for an hour or two. This is how it looks on the diorama base. All’s well that ends well in this case.
While I made steady progress on my MDF Fallout terrain (it is mostly painted now in fact), I ran into problems as I was getting ready to varnish it yesterday. My airbrush was not cooperating and I was tired last night and couldn’t be bothered with trying to fix it. I love and hate airbrushes. They can save you so much time but I feel like I spend as much time trying to keep the thing running as I do actually using it. That isn’t true but it feels that way and the frustration can really pile up if you don’t like troubleshooting it like me.
I ended up brushing on the varnish for the minis and I will probably do the same for the terrain this upcoming week. It will be tedious but I don’t feel like trying to fix the airbrush at the moment. Part of me could go without airbrushing at all honestly. This is the third one I’ve bought (along with some replacement parts) and I can never seem to keep them running for more than about six months. It is time consuming to varnish with a brush but it does work without any headaches so I wouldn’t be surprised if I do more of that in the future.
It was with this frustrated mindset that I finished the recently painted Fallout minis today. One of them that I was excited about showing off is still looking way too glossy so that is not good and is yet another frustrating thing I ran into this week. The rest of them came out pretty well though. Sturges (the mechanic) looks as sharp with the rust as I had hoped he would. I think in places I could have been more patient and applied the rust effect more strongly but I was not in the most patient moods so what I did will have to be okay.
I have no idea what I will work on this upcoming week. I will take a break from the diorama because I want to be motivated to paint my best and I’m not sure I’m in that headspace at the moment. I also need to find something that will give me some hobby joy for obvious reasons. I am off of work a couple of days this week and my birthday is Monday so I should have time to do something good. We’ll see what happens and hopefully next week will be happier and productive.