Well to say that it has been an interesting week in the United States would be an understatement. I went to bed Tuesday night reluctantly and with a lot of concern and have been feeling better and better about election news as time has gone on. Hopefully the chaos, bad behavior, and poor leadership in this country will be gone for a long time after this.
But that’s enough about politics, it has been an exciting week in terms of painting as well. As the title suggests, I got the Master just about done this week so here is a look at him.
First off, let me state the obvious, this is a really intricate sculpt with a lot of fine details. It took quite a while to paint it as a result and I was really making it up as I went along too. I used a lot of purple which I’m not very familiar and comfortable painting truth be told. Luckily, I have a good friend I can rely on for painting questions and feedback and his guidance ensured that the purple parts came out well. I tried to make him look as much like the movie design as I could with a few notable changes here and there because parts of his costume don’t work well on a painted miniature.
The one thing I wanted to do but couldn’t pull off was the freehand designs that are both in the movie and some madman at GW painted on their version. It is almost like a paisley pattern since I can’t find pictures of it to show you. The irregular folds in the cloth on the back were just going to be too hard and annoying to paint a tricky pattern on so I ended up skipping it but I like the highlights I came up with instead. They really look sharp in hand. The one issue I had with the back that I talked about last week is the final results even with Vallejo Matte varnish are too shiny. I believe it is Lahmia Medium that is causing the shine and I have ordered some AK Interactive Ultramatte varnish which hopefully arrives this upcoming week so that I can apply that and get the Master fully done. Its only noticeable at the bottom of his coat in that picture but believe me, it is quite noticeable in hand.
Unfortunately, that means the diorama is not completed this week like I had hoped. It is so close you can almost taste it in fact. I glued down all of the other pieces except for the Master because I’m afraid to glue him and then try to paint on the varnish. I did however go ahead and test him out on the base and took a quick picture of that so you get a taste of the diorama at long last. It is not a great picture and I am going to have to be careful to get the lighting right because my camera does not do well with dark colors and it shows in the pictures I took. But regardless, here is the diorama with almost everything done.
This diorama is entitled, “The Master’s Favorite Holiday – Tax Day” and hopefully has a bit of a comedic feel. I’m very pleased with how it looks and I can’t wait to take more and better pictures to share with you next week, provided the varnish I order gets here quickly. I have a couple of other MESBG dioramas sketched out in my mind but I will have to order miniatures and supplies for both so I will probably wait a little bit on those. I feel that I should focus on Fallout stuff for a while since I have a backlog of 20 miniatures and I would like to get more terrain done to make the boards more interesting as I have mentioned as well.