Some hobby weeks are better than others and unfortunately, this one has proven to not be a great one. I only finished one mini this week though it is an important one. Liz Sherman’s mini for Hellboy is done and unfortunately, it was a bit rough going and I can’t say that Liz is my best work.
One of the big reasons is that the sculpt is not the best. Her face does not have sharp detail to it and is very much a board game mini in terms of quality. I did the best I could with it and I also got a fairly nice looking flames on her hand which is probably the most important thing. Unfortunately, I don’t think the OSL came out as cleanly as I had hoped either. The whole mini just isn’t quite my best work no matter how much I tried. I see some further issues like on the bridge of her nose that I didn’t notice until I took pictures and that about sums it up. The only thing I can say is that I like how the base looks. I think adding a bit of dirt and grime fits the tone of Hellboy and makes the base look less “naked” though I suspect that board gamers may prefer the plain black base scheme I initially tried. I guess there is a divide between board gamers and wargamers! 🙂
Here is a quick look at how Liz and her bust look next to each other. If nothing else, the colors match each other well and they look nice next to each other.
Unfortunately, that is not the only bad thing that happened. I started working on the Fallout signal box and realized that I messed up gluing the staircase so it is noticeably crooked! I only realized it on Friday so I have no idea what I’m going to do to try and fix it. I tried sanding down the bottom of the uneven staircase and that did not work. I thought maybe if I used less stairs (like some had broken off, that might be a good idea but even that still looks off. I’m not too pleased with myself for messing up yet another part of this project. I also discovered that the walkway around the signal box does not fit because of past mistakes so I think this project is going to have to go in the bin because I don’t think I can complete it to a standard I’m happy with. There is a lot of room for improvement in my terrain skills at the moment and I need to build a lot of terrain (and much of it is MDF terrain for that matter) for Fallout so I’m feeling a bit daunted by the prospects of that at the moment.
The only thing that I have been able to diagnose is that I’m having a lot of assembly issues because of my glue. I need to stop using super glue because it does the job too well and too fast and I’m putting things together incorrectly like with this staircase and it has ruined this project I believe. I only wish I could have saved some time and realized my mistakes earlier.
To end this week’s update on a more positive note, I did want to give a mention that I’ve been experimenting with how I take pictures which is why you’re seeing the white background more. I think I might be able to improve the overall quality of the photos going forward as I’m using a desk tripod to keep my camera more stable (and hopefully have sharper pictures as a result). I don’t know if the rest of the things I’m doing are paying off quite yet because what I painted this week wasn’t too spectacular. Hopefully you’ll see some gradual improvement in the coming weeks and if not, I may decide to get a new camera as the one I have is closer to ten years old than five and I think I might be able to improve my photos further with better equipment.