I was able to finish up the Eomer display project and I’m very happy to be sharing the results. I think it is one of my best minis yet and it came together in less than a month’s time which is pretty darn good for a display piece. I have more to say about the process of making the base but let’s look at some pictures and I can talk more about that.
The first thing to mention is the photography. If you remember back a ways, I had a lot of trouble getting good pictures of the Blood Elf display piece and unfortunately, that happened again with Eomer. I took probably 50 pictures across 4-5 sittings to try and get some good photos of this mini. While these pictures are not bad, they’re a little washed out and for some reason, my camera just does not want to focus on the miniature which keeps the pictures from being as sharp as I think they could be. These pictures are the very best that I could get but I feel that they don’t quite do this display piece the justice that it deserves. Truthfully, I’m not very knowledgeable about photography or cameras and the camera I own is getting close to ten years old now and I think that is why I’m having so much trouble. I need to find a way to upgrade and get a camera that can take higher quality photos of my work. I think my current camera is preventing the quality of the piece from fully being seen. So that is a problem I’m going to have to try and rectify in the future even if it isn’t clear to me exactly what I need to get to see improvement. Its something I’ll have to try and research a bit more.
On a more positive note, the base came out really nicely and I tried some new techniques that I wanted to mention for those interested in the craft. The first thing is that the base came out looking so much more realistic than I expected. I used some AK Interactive earth colored washes and while you can’t really see them all that well now, mixing a few different colors across the ground really gave the base a realistic look. Typically, I do the fairly normal base coat the dirt in brown, give it a wash, and then dry brush with two or three colors to get the look you see on a lot of my gaming bases. However, these washes helped me elevate the look of the dirt quite a bit and I don’t think there’s any looking back now.
I also attempted to use foliage in a more realistic and interesting way which has always been something I’m trying to do. I applied moss using some simple Woodland Scenics flock and I think it came out looking really nice. The tufts are fairly typical where I try to mix a few different ones of different heights together to give it a realistic look. I tried to nail the look of Rohan (or New Zealand, if we’re being honest) and I didn’t quite get there but it looks good enough and I’m reasonably happy with how it all looks. I tried to make my own tufts as well and that was a mixed bag. I had to pull one off the base because the glue turned very white at the base and it was too visible. The other one looks fine but could just as easily be a commercially purchased tuft so that is something else to work on in the future.
If it sounds like I’m not that keen on this one or that I’m nitpicking it, I’m not. I’m very happy with it and it was a pleasure to work on. So much so that I’m already looking for another display project like this that I can tackle next. I’m feeling more confident in the diorama/display painting space than ever before and I’m eager to improve further and achieve my long-time goal of making some of the best Lord of the Rings minis and dioramas possible. With this in mind, I went ahead and purchased the first mini that I need for my next diorama so I’ll slowly work on piecing that together in the coming weeks which should be nice as I try to work on my backlog of gaming stuff.
While we’re on the subject, Games Workshop is teasing a big Middle Earth focused preview event on Sunday which I don’t think they’ve ever done before. I’m very curious and excited to see what they release. While they don’t create a lot of Middle Earth minis each year, I’ve liked a lot of what they have released, especially the plastic ones and so I’m hoping they will spark some ideas for future projects with this announcement.