I survived another annual team-building day at work and a holiday party this week and still managed to make some real inroads on my current projects. It is a long story but basically I unexpectedly have to use up paid time off work so I found myself with extra time to hobby and relax which was much needed. I will have the same next week so I hope to get one more strong update in for 2020.
The first thing I’d like to discuss this week is my Goblin Town Terrain progress.
This picture is with all of the platform pieces painted and as you can see, I’m not too far off from being able to play one of the “real” Goblin Town scenarios in the An Unexpected Journey Rulebook (pictured below). This layout is the easier to assemble of the two and the other one requires less of the skinny walkways and many of the wider ones so it wouldn’t surprise me if I need two more boxes of Goblin Town terrain to play that one. I don’t have as many two-story pieces for this board as I would like but I may not worry about that too much as this has already taken way more time and money than I thought. I do look forward to playing however and I think the board, as simple as it is, is looking quite impressive and I’m very satisfied with it so far.
At this point, I need to finish up all of the annoying post pieces left in the box which I will chip away at in the coming weeks. I find both painting and varnishing those pieces to be really tedious so I can’t focus on it for too long. I’ll probably take a little break and then come back to this project when I’ll be ready to power through some more terrain. One annoyance that I think is worth sharing with this terrain is keeping your paint job protected is difficult. A lot of the pieces I painted in my first two sets have spots on the skulls where the paint has worn off which is annoying. I’ve tried to store these things pretty carefully but it would appear that it is inevitable. I don’t think touching them up will be too difficult but still not something I look forward to.
I’ve also cranked out a couple more Ruffians. I had a bit more joy painting the latest two (which are in the middle in the pictures above) as the sculpts were a bit better and more fun to paint. You really give your brown colors a workout when painting these guys but I think they are already looking pretty nice as a squad which I am pleased to see. Only two more needed for my first Scouring of the Shire scenario! I wouldn’t be surprised if that is the next scenario I write a battle report for as it seems easier and more fun than painting more Goblin Town terrain in the short term.
Speaking of painting, I saw a post in a Middle Earth SBG FB group that got me thinking. I’ve long thought and felt like I’m one of the better kept secrets in the Middle Earth SBG community. I do have this site and an Instagram account but I feel like very few people know me and my work as strange as that is to say. I love working on this site and I get a few hundred views a month (which is amazing considering how niche of a hobby this is) but I wonder if I can give more to the community and get a little more attention to stroke my ego too 🙂 One thing I know that can get a lot of attention on Youtube is to share painting guides and MESBG is very much lacking in that area. I feel fairly confident in my painting abilities and can probably help newer people to the hobby learn a thing or two so I may dabble in writing up painting guides for things I’m working on and see if that helps raise the profile of this site a bit and me as well. Those take a lot of work to do so the juice will have be worth the squeeze but it might be some new content you see on the site in 2020!