While I mostly focused this week on painting another Ruffian and making progress on Theoden’s sword, I only want to show off my first finished Shire terrain piece because I’m fairly happy with how it turned out and of the photos I recently took.
I didn’t do a ton of work on Maggot’s crops since my last update but finishing the edges off definitely made a difference, as did the extra crop rows being filled in. I must say, while the Mininatur crop rows I added last look nice, I was very underwhelmed by how much you get in a single package. Where I used maybe a fourth of a package of Army Painter yellow flower tufts, that was an entire package of the Miniatur crop rows. Not a great value for $9 and I would have definitely liked to put more down than I did.
I did notice a bit more warping on the edges of the terrain piece so I decided to break out the heavy books after I sealed everything a couple of times to make sure it stays undamaged for a long time and unfortunately, I ended up smooshing down some clump foliage and tufts that way. The warping did go down so that was good. I ended up pulling off the smashed tufts and regluing new ones. Only a few tufts lost so not a huge deal there and hopefully that is the end of the warping too.
All in all, I learned a lot making this piece and I’m pretty happy with the final result. I need to get some more variations of flock for my next terrain pieces but I think this was the perfect project to cut my teeth on and I will hopefully do even better on the next terrain pieces I tackle. The pictures above really get me excited to put together the rest of Maggot’s Farm scenario. I think it is going to look really top-notch when done.