Let’s start with a quick update the Elf project. I made what feels like immense progress this week yet again and am pretty much at the point where I won’t have to paint many more “repeat” parts now which is great. While initially I didn’t think the gems looked as good as the other side, upon further review, I think I’m in better shape there then I thought. There are very minor variations in the two sides of the elk but overall, I think it looks pretty consistent and I’m happy with where everything is right now. Here’s a look at the latest progress and a look at the other side since its been a while since I finished that now.
This should mean that the next time you see the elk, you’ll only be seeing new parts which is exciting. I look forward to seeing this all come together. You might be asking, how does he have the time to make any progress painting with everything else going on? And truthfully, it has been hard. A lot of other things I do for fun have suffered but I’ve tried to be deliberate about making time to paint. It is the most stress-relieving thing I can do so I’ve tried to keep painting as part of my daily routine. Having said that, I don’t know if there will be any additional updates between now and the wedding which is two weeks away. I’ll be painting when I can but time to update the site and comment on other’s work has been harder and harder to find.
There are unfortunately a number of reasons for that. I’ll just list them out instead of dwelling on them. My fiancée’s parked car was sideswiped which caused her bumper to mostly pop off. Less than a week later, some local thieves stole her catalytic converter (along with several other people’s on my street). Yesterday, the officiant (who is related to my fiancée) decided to bow out of her duties due to COVID. Also yesterday, the sewage pump in my condo was malfunctioning and could have backed up into the condo if I ran much water downstairs which was also a bit stressful. Finally, with the current trends in the US, I believe the wedding will be masks required and I wouldn’t be surprised if more people decide not to attend at the last minute which is pretty unfortunate.
Fortunately, the sewage pump was fixed yesterday and for a reasonable price (though I plan on getting a new one soon since the one I have seems to be pretty old). My fiancée’s car is fixed and with an anti-theft cable installed now too. And even with all of these difficulties and stressors, I’ve tried my best to stay level-headed and not get too discouraged because losing your cool only makes it that much harder to recover from the setbacks. Truthfully, nothing has been easy and most of the wedding planning has not been enjoyable because there have been so many issues to sort out so it isn’t all that shocking at this point. With any luck, things will go a bit more smoothly from here on out and I will be back with more painting progress whenever time permits!