Its been an exciting and nerve-wracking week but ultimately I have some major progress to show off this time around. I somehow powered through painting the back of the Elf’s torso which was daunting because I had to glaze the other side of the cloak. Thankfully, the cloak didn’t take too long. I don’t know that the colors on the back perfectly match the front but I did the best I could in a reasonable amount of time (between 5-10 hours). After polishing off the rest of the details on the back, I thought, why not varnish this and get it on the elk? I was anxious to see how it would all fit together as I knew that this was going to be the most important and trickiest part of this model to assemble. So I somewhat foolishly went ahead and gave it a try!
My concern was the area where I had to pin the torso was somewhat altered from the super glue that dried around where I drilled it and I couldn’t “fix” it. It made the fit with the leg much harder than it should have been. My first attempt to glue it together did not go well. The super glue didn’t bond and I could tell that the elf wasn’t situated correctly. The elf needs to be just right because the elk’s head actually connects to one of the arms of the elf. In other words, this is an incredibly fiddly model as GW seems to make these days. I was starting to get nervous because in my experience you have two chances to get a model to come together properly. If you fail a second time, the glue has usually messed things up and the quality of the mini is going to suffer to try any further. I couldn’t let that happen with this mini, not after spending three months on it!
Thankfully, my determination to get it right paid off and it came together on the second attempt. A few painted parts got roughed up and I had to touch up some stuff but all in all, it looks pretty darn good. Here’s a look after that long preamble!
I’m not one to pat myself on the back too much but I think this is really looking magnificent now. It honestly looks better than I ever expected when I started this project.
On a similar note, when I was painting the back, I noticed this tiny, tiny gem below a phoenix emblem. While normally, that kind of thing terrifies me, this particular time, I wanted to tackle the challenge head on. It took a couple of tries and adjustments but I actually managed to paint the ridiculously small thing! When I finished, I couldn’t help but smile. If I can handle this, then the rest of this mini will hopefully be academic. I also can’t tell you how many times I have been thankful to have good “close up” vision. It is so helpful when painting minis and I can’t imagine having to wear a huge magnifying visor to do what I love.
Moving on from the elf briefly, I am happy to report that I made my first eBay sale as I start to reduce my earthly possessions a bit and hopefully simplify my life in the process. Ironically, it is a book for a hobby I’m not getting rid of anytime soon which is miniature painting. I bought Dioramas F.A.Q. a number of years ago and while the book is well done, I never found the tutorials super helpful because it is really focused on historical dioramas (mostly WW2). The fact that Youtube offers so many helpful tutorials also takes away from the book’s value a bit too. So I knew it was time to move it on and someone snapped it up after a week on eBay. Not bad!
Finally, my brother has been out of town so we haven’t been able to play Lord of the Rings Online together so to make up for not having a video game to play (my Playstation 4’s controller is drifting badly and they are impossible to buy online thanks to the pandemic), I played Arkham Horror: The Card Game quite a bit this week. My Dunwich Legacy campaign ended poorly with a cult summoning an old god and destroying the earth but I had a blast playing it and can’t wait to get some more games in soon. I will certainly get some articles written and published about the game soon because it is such good fun to play. Between Arkham and painting, I’ve certainly been enjoying my freetime whenever I can get it.