I have a shorter and fairly straightforward update for you this week (for once!). I spent the entire week working on Fallout terrain and am happy to show off where I am with it currently.
I have the exterior walls painted and varnished which is great. I went ahead and test fit everything and did some sanding to get it all to fit. I went all out on the weathering on this one which I hope will lead to an eye-catching final product. Here is a look at the side and floor. Keep in mind that the interior walls are not what you see here. Those are separate pieces I’ll show in a bit.
One thing that I have noticed is that the porch, which looks awesome, is actually a bit fragile and could be broken if I’m not careful in the future so I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on that. Unfortunately, I did have a surprising and mildly frustrating experience this week. I recently bought a big bottle of Vallejo Gloss Varnish. It was twenty bucks which is quite a bit to pay for varnish and 100 milliliters so I figured if nothing else, I could use it for a long time. Well, as I started using it on the shack, I realized it was yellowing parts of the house, especially those that have the lightest highlights! You can see what I mean in the upper-right portion of the porch in the photo above.
This terrain really only has cold whites with brown mixed in and yet, you can “splashes” of yellowing that I had never intended and didn’t particularly want. While I don’t think it looks bad by any stretch, it is very disappointing that a gloss varnish could do this. I can’t say I’ve ever seen it before and the fact that I bought an extra big bottle, because nothing else was available, just makes it worse. The only thought I had was, “What if I was working on a white or lightly colored display piece and I made the mistake of putting this varnish on it?” I could have lost hours upon hours of work and probably would have had to throw the thing out. Needless to say, I am disappointed with Vallejo’s quality here and I spent more money to get AK Interactive’s Gloss Varnish. It may slow down my progress on this project a bit in terms of assembly but I’m not going to proceed until I get this varnish situation figured out.
Finally, I went for a fairly bold and dark color for the interior walls to help them stand out from the exterior. Once these are varnished, I can think about gluing the exterior down along with these interior walls. If that goes smoothly, I’ll have about half of this project done which is not too bad of progress really and I’m happy with the results thus far which is the most important thing.
A couple of other quick notes before signing off. Its funny how much changes in a week sometimes. I talked about the Golden Demon being scheduled for March here in Chicago and while my interest in entering is still strong, a lot has happened this week outside of the hobby. If one is to read the pandemic portents, it is not hard to have a gloomy outlook. It certainly looks as if we could be headed towards lockdowns or a change in larger gatherings soon. Cases are going up and there is a lot of COVID fatigue in the US which I think is making it even worse. I wonder if Adepticon will get cancelled or pushed back again now. I know they’re requiring proof of vaccination to attend (which is smart!) but I could see a situation where they have to say, now isn’t the time to hold it like we hoped (not unlike when they cancelled it the first time). Only time will tell but I know it would be a bummer to work on a display piece and get it done, only for Adepticon to be cancelled. I guess that is the risk I will have to take.
Finally, this may be my last post for the year. With the holidays coming up, I hope to see my family this year for Christmas (though I have some apprehensions about traveling with COVID coming on strong) and so I will play it by ear and update again whenever I’ve made solid hobby progress. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe festive period!