After a tough week, hobbying has been a welcome and necessary escape for me. As I waited for more things for the diorama to arrive, I decided to focus on something that I started painting and never got very far with. I think it was meant to be done between a display project and something else but I just completely lost my momentum on it and couldn’t pick it back up for quite some time. Thankfully, this Raider was fairly easy and enjoyable to paint once I got going on her again. While it wasn’t difficult or complex, I am proud of her facepaint/tattoo which is not really inspired by the games so much as orcs in the Hobbit movies. There’s something about someone who paints a diagonal line down their face that makes you question their sanity a bit which is perfect for a raider! I’ve got quite a few raiders to paint so if you like her, there will be plenty more to come.
The other thing I wanted to discuss is my mishap with miniature storage this week. I basically have my Fallout minis and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit minis which are painted for gaming separate from my display pieces which desperately need a display case to be homed in. That is a problem for another day though. I dug through my gaming pieces which are mostly kept in a Citadel Battle Case. I like how compact the hard case that I have is. Its been easy to store in a closet but I can still keep plenty of miniatures in it. However, I have had some real issues with it and I’ve finally had enough.
I was digging around in the case to find some Hobbit minis I painted about 3-4 years ago in preparation for the diorama I’m starting and I was disappointed to find that some of the stuff I painted has been damaged. At least one sword was bent pretty good which shouldn’t be a surprise since it sticks out above the foam protection. Its kind of hard to see in the picture below but hopefully you can spot it.
One problem with these foam cases is that anything taller than your standard miniature (or even a standard miniature with a sword straight up in the air, is not safe from being damaged like this. That’s not great, especially with how GW makes minis these days. But the other annoyance is that because the rows of foam are not attached to the bottom of the tray, miniatures can rub against each other accidentally. I believe that is how the paint on some of these wargs got chipped off. Also, every time you lift one of the foam trays out, miniatures shift around and tend to get underneath the foam which is annoying and you feel like you have to “fix” the minis and put them back in their places. Forget about having any metal miniatures in this case. They are even worse in this regard because they’re heavier and I had to buy a separate foam tray from Pirate Labs for metal minis. The foam rows do allow bigger minis to fit in there okay but only if they aren’t too tall. Personally, I feel like this is a bad design by Games Workshop and if I remember correctly, they said you can put tanks and things like that in these cases. I would highly recommend NOT doing that because anything that pokes out on the top, could get damaged easily.
So all this is to say, I’m going to get a new miniature case of some kind because this isn’t working for me. I’ve had this case for quite a few years now and I guess I can’t complain too much but I am still a bit annoyed that I can’t trust it to keep things safe. I’d love to do the magnet thing that seems to be the most popular way to store minis these days but Fallout bases do not work the way Games Workshop ones do. They’re solid resin and I can’t be bothered to drill out much of the base just to be able to store them. I think Battle Foam seems to have better foam options that will keep my minis safe and should make them easier to keep track of too. Of course, if there’s interest, I’ll be happy to share my thoughts once I actually buy one in the next couple of weeks but for now, I’m going to be careful with my GW case to ensure no further damage occurs.
That’s enough grumbling from me for this time though. I’ve started working on the next diorama so you can look forward to seeing the first bits of that project next week.