There is a lot to discuss this week so I won’t waste any time. I managed to finish some more doors for Hellboy today. These haven’t been varnished so they look a little more matte than they will when all is said and done but I’m happy to have eight out of fifteen doors done already. I decided that I would try and mix up the colors on the doors as much as possible. These look a bit darker and more gothic then the previous set which fits Hellboy just fine.
I’ve also managed to work on the Fallout terrain as I promised last week. This is one big experiment and one I hope isn’t destined to fail. More on that in a minute. First, let me show you where things stand now.
If you can’t tell, this is going to be a damaged/collapsed concrete pillar for a highway overpass. While it looks pretty concrete-like already, its going to get weathered further next week when I get a paint I need and I think it will look quite a bit better and more realistic when that is done. I’m proud of my idea for this one as I don’t think this has been done before, so let me explain a bit about how I made it. This is a piece from the Black Site Studio Highway Ramp set (the piece I have been working on is at the bottom of the ramp in the picture below) which has been sitting around for too long on my hobby desk.
What I did was take the MDF and glue that together and then smooth out the flat edges with some greenstuff and then I covered it all with concrete paste from AK Interactive. Afterwards, I carefully and methodically carved in the patterning and cracks you see above. While it isn’t easy to do the concrete patterning and cracks, I think it is coming together pretty well. I’m not sure how durable the paste will be so I’ll have to be careful with how I store this but you can’t argue with the realistic look of it. This is also typical of me with terrain. I want it to look like a diorama and probably will end up with something that isn’t as functional or durable as I want in the end. I intend to add more concrete with the road and the pillars on the sides of the ramp as I work my way up to that though I have to admit, I am a little concerned because the paste is fairly heavy and that will add weight to the MDF. Hopefully the sides will be sturdy and well supported enough that this will all work. This project is going to take a long time and be a major time commitment but I can and will take breaks on it whenever I need to and it should be a statement terrain piece IF (and that is a big if) it all comes together and isn’t a time consuming and moderately expensive disaster! Only time will tell on that part.
Finally, I got another game of Hellboy in this week and had a good time. And that was in spite of realizing that I am missing one of Lobster Johnson’s cards so I couldn’t use him even though I just got him painted up. This was certainly deflating and I’ve contacted Mantic’s Support in the hopes that they can help. It sounds like they might be able to which is really cool if it works out.
I decided to replay “Hunting Party” which I lost last time I played it and I got some rules wrong so I wanted to see if I could do better on a replay. And I did but still didn’t win. That’s okay because it is a Hard difficulty case and I will try an easier one next time I play. I did get further this time than last so that was encouraging anyway. Here is a look at where the game was shortly before it ended. You can start to get an idea of why I lost from this picture, I’d imagine.
On the upside the doors looked and functioned great. They’re a really nice upgrade from the cardboard counters exactly as I had hoped and I’m already looking forward to my next game, once I get the doors at the top of this post varnished of course!