It has been a really up and down couple of weeks on the Blood Elf Project. I’ve made really steady progress on it and can see the end (finally) but there were some really big mishaps along the way. First, let’s take a look at something that came together smoothly. This back-piece was easy to paint and while I don’t look forward to assembling it as it doesn’t seem to fit where it is supposed to all that well, I’m glad it is done and looking nice. The big gem came out nicely and honestly, the bigger they are, the harder they are to paint. It takes a lot of extra work to make them look smooth where small ones don’t need that extra care.
With that out of the way, I focused on the scabbard, reins, and “elk” head. Many of these pieces were harder to paint than I would have liked because of they weren’t easy to glue on a base and paint separately. This mini is kind of a nightmare to hold even using a paint handle because it is so tall and its hard to find steady places to hold it and paint whatever you need reach.
A couple of disasters occurred during this process as well. First was that I took the mini out of the paint handle but set it on top (which was a big mistake) and I tried to pick it up as if it was secured in the handle and it took a tumble straight off my desk! This has happened to numerous Fallout minis and none of them have broken, but unfortunately, the blood elves’ reins and cape came off. It was devastating at first, because I was sure that I had ruined this project but once I calmed down and looked over things more carefully, I realized that I could salvage everything but only just. I had to touch up a number of things which wasn’t fun but I think all things considered, you wouldn’t know that I had dropped the thing and nearly ruined it. I am going to try to be much more careful with it going forward as you can imagine!
The next setback was trying to assemble the horns and headpiece on the elk. I barely got the horns in their slot and they’re not really assembled as well as they should be unfortunately. It was so frustrating and stressful. I had painted parts of the horns better and then messed those up with glue during this process. I repainted the lines in the horns but I don’t think they look as good as what I had done previously. Games Workshop really makes fiddly models and while they look amazing, the assembly is awful when you’re trying to paint at a high level. It makes me a little scared to take on more projects like this in the future though it is hard to resist Games Workshop’s products at the same time.
Regardless of all that drama, here is what the Blood Elf looks like now.
I nearly forgot. My mate, who always helps with painting questions and issues I run into suggested I try taking my pictures with a white background. I did dabble with this several years ago but didn’t give it a fair chance so I’m going to be patient and see what I can do with a humble sheet of white paper. I’m not sure that my current camera can handle this as well but I do think my iPhone did a nice job (go figure) so it will take me some time to get this worked out I imagine. Of course, always happy to hear what others thing of the white background too.
As it stands, I have the shield, the lance, another back piece, and the elk’s tail left to paint and assemble. Four pieces doesn’t sound too bad… Unfortunately, at least two of them are going to be stressful to glue to the mini so I’m not out of the woods yet! With any luck, I may be able to get this done in less than a month’s time and move onto other projects. Fingers crossed that I can avoid much more “excitement” between now and the end of this miniature!